Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Inspiration in all that is old...and a little bit rediculous.

Finally the holidays are over and I can once again concentrate on my own work. The holidays however, are not without inspiration. I found this catalogue at my parents home and was incredibly inspired by the ornamentation on all of its contents. It is a Marshall Field & Co. catalogue from 1896 which holds illustrations of their jewelry and fashions available in this year. Walnut wood clocks, silver carving sets, tea sets, glass perfume bottles, and 14K. gold pocket watch movements are only a small selection of items beautifully illustrated in the catalogue. This is ofcourse a re-printed edition (1970) in nice shape although it is nevertheless a great resource for intricate detail in illustration. Every object has a use; one of my favorite being the satin gold lined orange holder (below).

No comments:

Post a Comment