Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Number2







The screen printing supplies are just about together and ready to go. I am looking forward to putting drawings onto textiles very soon. In the meantime I've been trying to figure out what images i will use first. I've been drawing a lot to ensure that i have a lot to choose from (and also because I'm anxious to get printing and this seems to be a useful thing to do at the moment!).

I thought i would share one of my latest obsessions that i found on my way home from work at a great bookstore nearby (Balfour Books on College St. in Toronto). Since I tend to be drawn to all things vintage, this collection of old photographs i was immediately interesting. The book is titled MUG SHOTS an archive of the famous, infamous and most wanted by Raynal Pellicer. It begins with the history of the mug shot as well as many examples of the use of the mug shot. I was inspired by the casual disposition as well as ensemble of the models and felt the need to capture their expressions once again, only this time in a drawing. There is something about the moment in time that is caught on film as well as the story behind each criminal that i find to be most inspiring (the mustaches and trench coats are also great).

I'm sure you'll see traces of these mugshots throughout some of my work to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment